Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hospital Update

Today I received 3 telephone calls and if I recall correctly 6 e-mail messages asking how we are doing. I guess that means it is time to take a break and blog for a minute or two with you. I haven't written because 1) the past seven days Doug has been in the hospital where one day blends into another and 2) I've been tired by the time I get home and leave as soon as I can in the morning.

When I asked Doug what he wanted me to share with you he told me to tell you that he is amazed at the body's ability to take a hit (in this case from toxic chemo) and over time renew itself. He said to tell you he's glad to be bubbling up from rock bottom. While he hasn't surfaced just yet, he is bobbing up, which is the correct direction. The counts have turned around and are increasing each day. Either tomorrow or the next the doctors predict that his blood counts will "sky rocket" and Doug will be able to tell the doctors himself that he felt the change within.

Doug's courage has always been good throughout this ordeal. He gives credit to the Lord for His power and strength getting him to where he is today. He is appreciative of everything I do for him and wants to make sure I'm taking care of myself. He wanted me to be sure to thank you for your continued prayers, concern and support for both of us.

The medical team is amazing. They give us confidence that everything is as they expect it Although rate of increase in Doug's white counts might be a bit slower than they'd like them to be it is not uncommon and is seen by them as "normal". I don't know what that word means but we like the sound of normal!

Currently there are 8 other stem cell transplant patients at various stages on this specialized ward. This part of the hospital also caters to those individuals that come just for a series of chemo treatments to treat their blood cancers. The interesting thing to me is that I never bump into another family member. Isolation is just that.

This has definitely been the most intense time for us in the past 9 months. It is probably a good thing that when Doug was feeling so good one of the team would say, "Now don't be surprised if you have to go into the hospital at some point" rather than saying to us "Plan on going to the hospital before this is over"!! They would also tell us that everybody reacts differently to the after effects of the "sledge hammer" chemo. We know for sure he is where he needs to be.

The food tray looks the same morning, noon and night as he is on a liquid diet. It is the subconscious things we take for granted everyday that I hope we never forget from this experience. No bodily function is small at all.

If you can swallow right now you are a person most blessed.
~Carole