Monday, August 18, 2008

Transitions

(Note: this is long)

You may recall that before Doug’s transplant we had the honor of participating in Burleson’s American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. Both Doug and I were handed t-shirts at the registration table.

The logo on the front includes the American Cancer Society’s logo, this year’s Relay logo and, around the edges of a square, the words “Remember. Fight Back .Celebrate”. On the back of Doug’s purple shirt is the word SURVIVOR. On the back of my lime green shirt is the word CAREGIVER. Without wearing the shirts, those words of the back of our shirts have defined us.

We have been celebrating a miracle of Doug’s healing as the last few days will show.
August 4-7 Doug worked full days back at his job.
August 8-9 Doug rested.
August 10 Doug is chair of the Board of Education for the 31 Christian schools in the TX Conference. He asked me to attend the ribbon cutting ceremonies of a new Adventist-run high school in N. Dallas.
August 11-14 Doug, along with the other 3 administrators, hosted all employees and their families at the annual summer retreat held at Camp Allen in a marvelous setting. The camp is four hours South of Burleson. I went along to care for Doug….

As I write Doug is back for another full work week with the exception that he will have his NeoStar central line removed on Wednesday. Thursday he’ll finally get to see his primary Oncologist who has been on vacation.

In earlier posts I told how we were waiting for the “rocket” to go off when the cells were finally mature. I’ve seen the blast in Doug but there has been some fall-out in me.

When we left Dr. Collins Clinic we were given a booklet which outlines “no-no’s’ for all bone marrow transplant patients who used their own stem cells. It outlines dos and don’ts for 3-6 weeks after stem cell infusion as well as cautions for 6 weeks and after. As caregiver, I’ve felt it was my duty to enforce these “rules”. After all Doug has been dependent on me for more than a year and even obeyed MY rules!

After observing the impact on Doug from the outpouring of love that he received from others at the ribbon cutting and at the 11-14 retreat I knew that the realization of Doug’s goal, vision and mission to return to the people he serves was better than any medication he is taking. My selfish thoughts included but were not limited to—“Is he using the hand sanitizer or washing his hands after hugging and shaking hands?”

When he went back to work I packed his lunch. I did everything to make his breakfast and evening meals nutritious, attractive and appealing. Still he had very little appetite. At the retreat however I also observed the amount of food he consumed and couldn’t believe my eyes! Once we knew he was lactose intolerant things were going well at home but NOTHING like the amount of food he consumed at meal times at the camp.

Eventually I realized that I was no longer needed as caregiver in the same way as I had been for so long. I was in a major transition. My role was changing without my permission! It is like the day a parent realizes their children are capable of doing their own laundry, driving to their own appointments, living on their own, etc. Mind you my head knew Doug’s being more independent of me was a good thing for both of us. I just wasn’t prepared for it happening like it did or as soon as it did.

At the retreat it didn’t take me long to realize it was too early for me to be around people—even well-meaning people who asked me how I was doing. I would not have gone with Doug to the retreat had I known how self-sufficient he had become. It was too early for me. I also was under the care of my physician because of medication “issues” we were trying to sort out. Was it long-term stress causing my "issues" or something different with my meds?

When a well meaning individual at the retreat who wondered if Doug was doing too much told me about their friend who died not from a transplant but from pneumonia after the transplant that was the last straw. I needed to be alone. I couldn’t stand the cooped up feeling I had in our motel room either. It reminded me too much of being enclosed in an ER or hospital room or our small apartment. I knew I needed to be out in nature in spite of the heat and humidity.

I walked and walked. The camp has 2 lakes. One has a cross that one morning made a perfect mirror image on the surface of the lake. I saw a deer family grazing in the meadow. When a truck went buy they took off—the parents in one direction and the baby the opposite way. When the baby sensed its parents weren’t following it made a quick course correction to follow them.

Another time I saw one of the housekeepers leading her team to the motel area in a gentle rain. She had a large umbrella covering her and the new towels and wash cloths she was pushing in a cart towards the motel rooms. A pastor from our group was outside in the rain talking on his cell phone. Without hesitation the housekeeper stopped and handed the pastor her umbrella. Time and time again I observed the helpful but self less nature of the staff serving us at Camp Allen.

Out in nature I was reminded that I was coming off the stress of trying to help Doug so I wouldn’t loose my best friend of 40 years. I also knew I was not my normal self. I reasoned that I had a choice to feel sorry for myself or to turn Doug over to God’s will for Doug’s life as well as for Him to do new work in me.

I was sitting on a bench in the camp’s out-door meditation area when I remembered part of a poem I had written in college at a pine forest in Michigan. I had probably broken up with a boyfriend or was feeling sorry for myself because I didn’t have one! Regardless the first verse came back to me in the meditation area of the piney woods in Texas.

I know a cathedral
A marvelous place
There I behold
The Master’s face
Pine needles cushion
The place where I walk
Alone

With Him I talk

In that special place I made a commitment to allow Doug to live the days God gives him the way Doug wants to live them which may be contrary to the way I think Doug should be living. I know in the Master’s hands Doug is far better off than with a nagging caregiver. This transition, giving up my care-giver role (control ?) over Doug and following through with my commitment is not going to be easy for me. That is why my goal is now a written commitment so that I can return to this blog to re-read it as needed.

God has been so good to give us more years together. I’ll keep you posted from time to time but as stated before mostly this blog is a written log 1) to help us recall important dates and events during the miracle of healing and 2) to have a place to give God in writing the glory that is due Him.

In nature I was reminded that the Master is the ultimate Caregiver of both Doug and me.
~Carole