Thursday, July 10, 2008

Good News

Usually when I don’t blog it means that there is nothing to blog about! However on Tuesday we had some real good news I wanted to share with all of you. When I had time to blog it became obvious to me that my computer had acquired some form of “cancer”. It first started out as a scare tactic for me to purchase “AntiSpywareMaster” which I tried to ignore. Since this is Doug’s work computer I called tech support at his office. Even with a pop up blocker on the messages kept coming. Long story short someone from the office brought another computer and took the sick one back for evaluation.

Besides keeping in touch with the outer world we use the computer everyday to go online to a password protected site where we can view and track Doug’s medical records, check to see when our next appointment is, request medication refills and even send messages to the doctor or his staff. I am grateful to Doug’s staff at his office for not making me panic too long!

The first good news Tuesday was regarding his CBC and 24 hour urine collection report. While we get access to all of that daily it helps to understand it from a historical perspective. When first diagnosed the M-Spike that shows the level of protein in Doug’s urine was some of the highest the Fort Worth oncologist had seen.

While the numbers are all I can show you I will have to have someone else explain the last symbol I don’t know how to compute much less grasp metric symbols totally.

At diagnosis the urine protein was 16,208 mg/24 (and above the 4 a small degree symbol).
Before transplant the number was 574 mg/24 small degree symbol.
Tuesday we were given the lab report with no apparent M-spike. (Praise the Lord)

While they cannot be certain, this indicates that for Doug’s particular brand of cancer the majority of (if not all) myeloma cancer cells were eliminated from Doug’s body. When we read back to lab reports from when he was first diagnosed and see the number of tumors in his blood/bone marrow and M-Spike compared to Tuesday we are jumping for joy—well not jumping but you get the picture.

Now we are working on nutrition and keeping food on Doug’s tummy—bland with lots of calories and protein. (I’ve kept lots of food on my tummy while none has stuck to Doug’s yet!!!) Because he has been bed-ridden for so long we are also working on exercises. He is weak and will feel fatigue for some time. He is battling low blood pressure. Somehow these challenges don’t seem as difficult now with the good report.

We still have to be cautious of bacteria etc but we are of good courage chomping at the bit to get use to our “new normal” around the house and at his workplace. As I write friends and family are also coping with cancer, high blood pressure, MS and Lou Garigs (sp) disease. All but one are younger than Doug.

Last night I attended praise and worship service at the church closest to us. I have passed it many times. Its name attracted my attention: The Cathedral of Hope. Its mission statement says it well: “We are a church that believes in relentless compassion, radical inclusion and extravagant grace.” There were about 200 people there Wed. with more than 1,000 in two services on Sunday. I knew all the songs and it was good to sing them again as doing so while watching a church worship on TV or streaming version online on our computer doesn’t have the same impact on me as worshiping in person with others. The one unique feature in the rack in front of the pew was a small box of tissue. Music touches my soul so I was glad they were there.

It was good to be among Christians praising God and praying for peace for those on like uncertain journeys.

~Carole