Sunday, May 4, 2008

May 4

Today we woke to beautiful weather and a perfect temperature to spend part of our day outside. We used Press and Seal to cover Doug's central line so he could take a shower. It seemed odd to tear off a sheet to use on ones body. I wish I had invented something with so many applications. It worked great.

We probably spent a good hour sitting outside during the late morning. Afterwards we ate a small lunch. Then I worked on a writing assignment while Doug took an afternoon nap.

It is evening as I write you. We've just returned from a short drive. I like to change the scenery as often as Doug can tolerate so that being ill doesn't seem too isolating to him. We just have to stay away from people.

Doug told me a few minutes ago that he can feel he is getting weaker. Dr. Collins gave us a manual of what to expect during our journey throughout the bone marrow transplant process.It is a great reference. I read Doug the part that says that 3-5 days after a heavy dose of chemo the reaction he is feeling is normal. That seemed to encourage him. He had his chemo Thursday so, according to the manuel, he is feeling just as they expect patients to feel. The manuel also outlines other signs to watch for which I will do with him.

Tomorrow we have a clinic appointment late morning so I'm sure they will make him as comfortable as possible while they build him back up.
~Carole